Crimp tool for Electricians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimp tool for Electricians

I wonder if RIDGID has ever given consideration to making some jaws for crimping electrical lugs on wire. I'm thinking of the larger sizes from #6 on up.

It would seem that the ProPress tool with jaws designed to put a hex crimp on the lugs would be a great fit and extent the use of the tool into a new market area. Electricians who have RIDGID power tools would benefit with being able to use the same batteries on the crimper as their drills, impact drivers, etc. Or does the ProPress use a different battery connection than the RIDGID(TTI) cordless power tools?

I was thinking about this today when I had find some lugs for the guys to crimp on some #4 cable to ground an electrical cabinet. We have a crimp tool from T&B but I was thinking how similar it looked to a ProPress tool except for the jaws.

For that matter you could make jaws for crimping hydraulic hoses too. Maybe just the smaller sizes but seems plausible. I guess size would depend on how much power the tool can develop.

I'll take my royalties in small unmarked bills please.

edit: I see in another thread that my question on the batteries was answered, so that might take away some of the usefullness to people with RIDGID 18v power tools, that's too bad. Still I think the electrical market is worth looking into if not already evaluated.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Crimp tool for Electricians

another nice jaw setup would be an all-thread rod cutter and a large cable cutter.

the all-thread cutter would be great for all the trades and make a great accessory for the snap cutter too.

the cable cutter is already out there from competitors and slices large copper wire like a hot knife through butter.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, dont they aready make a jaw that cuts threaded rod?
      26+6=1

Comment

Rick I have thread cutters that I carry on board all the time. They are m10. You can get m.12 cutters too but all weldnut clips are generally m.10 . One critical point one must not forget unless he/she wants to experience paying for and spending time changing as such, dont think that that imperial thread is the same as metric. Stuffed a brand new set of jaws, what an idiot..............!!!!

Comment

I have a couple sets of manual 3/8" and 1/2" cutters that work great for all thread.

Are you telling me you have cutters that work on your press gun?

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Bob! Thanks for the post re: electrical crimping with RIDGID Pressing Tools. I see that you found a response to your question about batteries. Indeed, the 18V batteries that come standard with our Pressing Tools (and SeekTech products) aren't compatible with RIDGID Power Tools available at Home Depot. As for electrical crimping - great idea! As for your royalty fees, you may have some competition. Over the years we've received similar suggestions/questions regarding electrical crimping jaws. We're always looking for ways to expand the uses of our Pressing Tools (i.e., PressSnap, MegaPress, ProPress Rings) and this might certainly be a candidate. Stay tuned to the Forum and www.ridgid.com...there's always something exciting coming out from RIDGID.

Comment

Working...
            X