Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right-handed circular saw release ever from ridgid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-handed circular saw release ever from ridgid?

Ive been waiting for a couple of years for ridgid to release a 7-1/4" circular saw corded and non corded but for right hand users (aka blade on left-side of motor). Im not interested in their heavy worm drive saws. im looking for something light weight and compact in corded and/ or cordless. They have it for left handed users (aka blade on right side of motor) but i find it very weird that a lot of tool manufactures have done the same last few years and have forgotten about us right handed users. i hope ridgid marketing department will see this and be able to respond with some news. I've been building my power tool collection mostly with ridgid and would love to have a right-handed circular saw. Milwaukee already has it but am not interested in their tools. thank you in advance to anyone able to comment on this topic.

Traditionally, circular saws with the blade on the RH side are considered right handed saws and blade on the LH side are considered left handed saws. However, that is neither here nor there as you're just looking for a left sided blade circular saw offered by TTI/RIDGID. TTI's past history of introducing new tools, with the exception of drills and drivers, is pretty dismal so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for this one.
    I'VE DECIDED I'M NOT OLD, I'M 45 -- PLUS SHIPPING AND HANDLING.

Comment

"Right vs Left Handed Circular Saws"....do this search on U-tube

Do the search on U-tube and you will see a few quality discussions regarding
      left or right handed saws.

Most cordless 7 1/4" saws are right handed and the 6 1/4" saws are left handed.

I'm left handed and for safety I use a Porter Cable corded 7 1/4" motor on the left
      and a Ridgid 18v 6 1/4" motor on the left circular saw.
      As a left handed person the motor on the left is safer and I do not cross over my
      arm and blade when holding the saw with both hands ....A right person will....

With a motor on the right side a right handed person when holding the saw with both hands
      will not cross over the blade but a left handed person will.

Do a Google search "right handed VS left handed circular saws" and you see many
      explanations as to left VS right or right VS left.

Most professionals use either/or and it depends upon what is comfortable in your
      hand and your uses!....dust and cut side also influences what side the motor is on.

Now can you help me find a left handed screwdriver and pliers?

Cactus Man

Comment

I too would like to point out your questionable labeling of what is "right-handed" and "left-handed" terms when it comes to the circular saw. I've been using a circular saw since I was about 14 yrs old and while either 'blade-on-the-left' or 'blade-on-the-right', I'm not sure if either is actually designed to be a "right-" or "left-handed" tool. Specifically, the safest would be where the motor is between you and the blade, which makes a 'blade-on-the-right' the safest tool for "right-handed" users, in my opinion.

To answer your question though, I don't recall seeing a 7-1/4" w/blade-on-the-left from Ridgid or anyone else for that matter. But then, I don't do a lot of shopping for circular saws as I have my first 7" (really, that's what it's labeled, not 7-1/4), which I bought in 1971 (Craftsman 315-11850) and still serves me well today; and, I have a Ridgid 6-1/2" cordless that I bought in 2005. The Ridgid does have the blade on the left!

The Ridgid 6-1/2-inch "blade-on-the-left", which you refer to as a "right-handed" saw. It is an 18-Volt cordless, Model R8452 and came as part of a "combo Carpenters" kit which I bought in 2005. While nicely made, that "blade-on-the-left" scares me a bit. I was using it in the attic of this old house (1887) to run some wire, for a new electrical circuit. Hard to tell the difference between a nail head and a knot when it's 118 years old. So there I was down my knees cutting a floor board and I hit a nail head. The saw jumped back at me and my knee was right there! Fortunately all it did was snag to edge of the knee pads that I was wearing... much too close for comfort! I realized then that was a darn good reason to keep the blade on the right side of the motor! About the only thing I use that saw for since then is to cut down large sheets of plywood, where I'm standing up and have a good distance between my legs and the cutting path.

CWS

Comment

I am right handed, and I prefer the saw with the blade on the left so I can use it one handed and see the line I am cutting.

Ryobi have cordless circular saws with the blade on the left. You can get 5.5, 6.5, and 7.25 saws; all with the blade on the left.

I picked up the Ryobi Brushless 7.25 saw with 2x3Ah batteries and a charger for $99 in their recent Holiday promotion. I needed new batteries for my Ryobi garden products, and this seemed like a great deal.

Comment

Working...
          X