Wondering if Ridgid is going under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if Ridgid is going under

Ridgid hasn’t released anything new in months, making kits doesn’t count.
    Come on Ridgid release new cordless tools like a bandsaw and yard tools and prove me wrong.

Ridgid is not going under. Ridgid licenses its brand name to TTI who own Milwaukee and the North American Rights to Ryobi, among others.

Ridgids parent company is Emerson Electric.

TTI has it's own brands that cover all the tools you mentioned. Probably no need to build tools already in their lineup.

You being an Electrician should know that Greenlee is also owned by Emerson.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

A lot of people don't realize that Ridgid is small (with about 250 employees ) compared to there closest competitors like Hilti ( who also don't offer outdoor equipment in there line up ) but does rather well in there construction trade lineup in comparison with the behemoths ..... and agree with Rick not going under.

Comment

• Bob D.
        Bob D. commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe Ridge Tool (a division of Emerson) is larger than that, about 550 employees from what I can find online. And that number has nothing to do with the makers of the RIDGID cordless power tool line, because that is a separate company altogether (TTI).

Now if you are inferring the number of employees that work for TTI associated with the RIDGID cordless and woodworking power tool lines is about 250, that may be true.

• drainman scott
        drainman scott commented
        Editing a comment
        According to Dun & Bradstreet a company analyst firm Ridge Tool Company employees 1,500 in all its locations, with it's main headquarters locate in Elyria, OH...... I got the " RIDGID " employees number from Owler.com not knowing it's accuracy.

Ridgid cordless tools being exclusively sold at home depot, are probably widely owned by both professionals and home owners. Since the tool offering including lawn tools are seen in the high end Milwaukee' line, as well as the affordable Ryobi line, there is no excuse to exclude them from the Ridgid line. Consumers invested in the Ridgid line would much rather purchase bare tool line trimmers, hedge trimmers, and chainsaws that use their Ridgid platform batteries, then buy into yet another battery platform. I firmly believe if Ridgid offered the lawn tools I mentioned, consumers would readily buy them up. Smart business means making sales, so why not match tool for tool, and increase sales for an already proven brand?

Comment

I could see them getting absorbed by one of the larger groups, the tools might still be available, but differently named. However, they do have a plumbing presence which makes the name more valuable than the products.

Comment

There is ZERO relation between TTI who markets the RIDGID power tools to the Ridge Tool Company that makes the plumbing tools other than the name.

That is the problem with lending your name to a product line. Emerson did it when the licensed TTI/HD to use RIDGID for their woodworking and cordless power tool line.

AM General (a spin off from American Motors) did it with GM when they licensed the Hummer name to GM who proceeded to trash the product into oblivion. If the original Hummer had remained with AMG and the H2 and H3 which were GM creations had never come about the Hummer would have remained a niche market vehicle and probably lived on for many years, at least until the contract to produce HUMVEEs for the US Army ended. Once the H2 went mainstream and everyone started beating on them for their poor MPG ratings amongst other issues the end was near.

The way it got started (my observation, I have no direct knowledge) was Emerson used to make the stationary woodworking power tools like table saws, jointers, planers, drill presses, etc for HD to sell in their stores. More or less the same agreement they had with Sears for many years making Craftsman branded tools for Sears.

When the relationship ended between Emerson and HD they found TTI to partner with and the licensing agreement with Emerson allowed the HD/TTI partnership to continue using the name.

Downside for Emerson is they get all the bad press when TTI doesn't stand behind a product, makes a poor performing product that garners negative reviews, or doesn't offer support after the sale in the way of tech support or parts availability. Everyone blames the one visible name, RIDGID, and not the true culprits, HD and TTI.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I still don't see the down side to Ridgid offering many of the cordless tools that Milwaukee, and Ryobi do? The demand for more tools from Ridgid is proven over, and over again right here over the years. Milwaukee, and Ryobi have proven these various tools, including lawn tools, sell. Neither Milwaukee, nor Ryobi sales would suffer in my opinion by Ridgid expanding because most consumers are loyal to their current battery platform. Ridgid stands as very unique example of failure to grow sales when compared to almost every other business model! Wherever we see competition in business, we see competitors quick to offer the same or new, innovations for their product line.
            The aftermarket industry thrives because it offers the same or similar products made to fit different brands and models. Can you imagine
            a successful car, or truck manufacturer refusing to offer the same accessories as their competition? How long would GM stay in business if it new offered power steering, or an automatic transmission? Ridgid platform owners have that dilemma, there are no upgrade options available.

Comment

• Bob D.
              Bob D. commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree Frank, thee is no reason that I can see for not offering additional tools that use the same RIDGID 18v battery platform.

In the last two decades Ridgid's popularity with my trade, Plumbing, seems to have dropped off locally. I remember 25 years ago it was often hinted that plumbing inspectors would frown if you didn't have Ridgid wrenches, cutters or threaders on site, that's not as much the case now.

My opinion, publicly traded companies always favor investor appeal & earnings over customer appeal.....which gradually depletes a companies quality.

Add to this, the "M&A" nature of the stock market (merger & acquisition), TTI owns all of Ridgid's major "competitors", which means Milwaukee, Ryobi & Ridgid aren't actually in competition, there's no reason to improve over each other.

Comparable to this is the way Home Depot has driven down the quality of so many well known plumbing MFG's by using their monopoly to force those MFG's to use cheaper plastic and alloys to drive costs down....don't get me started on a recent nightmare experience with a Kohler tub I was able to poke my finger through that would've resulted in having to remove surrounding walls and redo the job if I hadn't spotted it.

Result - HD stock is up 3 times the S&P over the last 20 years, with a massive surge of plastic faucets & valves in in new homes.

Sad to say it, but I have low expectations for Ridgid, as well as most MFG's that have been cornered by the publicly traded box stores, sign of the times I guess.

Comment

"I remember 25 years ago it was often hinted that plumbing inspectors would frown if you didn't have Ridgid wrenches, cutters or threaders on site, "

I've never encountered this in my 40+ years in the trade, not even a hint of it from any plumbing inspector that came on a job I worked, or from any of those I know personally.

It may be true, but I've never seen or heard of it.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Working...
              X