Right Hand Portable Circular Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Hand Portable Circular Saw

It sure would be nice if there were a full-sized, battery-powered, portable circular saw for right-handed people (blade on left side). Ridgid needs to make one IMHO.

Back around 2003 - 2005, Ridgid-branded TTI made a 6-1/2, 18 Volt left-handed portable circular saw (Model R8452). I purchased it as part of a "Carpenter's Combo" for around $150, iirc. It was near the end of the year and was part of the holiday savings campaign at my local Home Depot. It was nicely made with a decent gage thickness on the plate, etc. It came with a pivot screwdriver (9-volt) and a 3/8 drill, also 18-Volt.

It's the only cordless circular saw that I have and I've mostly used it to cut-down sheet goods.

I don't recall seeing any other cordless from them since that time; but then again, I'm not out there shopping all the time either.

CWS

Comment

"I don't recall seeing any other cordless from them since that time; but then again, I'm not out there shopping all the time either."

I bet RIDGID/TTI has introduced at least 6 new circular saws since 2005.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
      "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• CWSmith
        CWSmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure that's the case, but, as I mentioned I haven't been shopping. Do they still have one? Actually I was sort of surprised by the original post's question. I would think that they would be quite common on the market.

CWS

"It sure would be nice if there were a full-sized, battery-powered, portable circular
      saw for right-handed people (blade on left side). Ridgid needs to make one IMHO."

Isn't it the other way round though? Blade on the right is a right-handed saw. That's how most saws
      are configured today are they not? And has been seen throughout history manufacturers cater to the
      RH crowd, not southpaws.

So if you are claiming that a saw with the blade on the left is for right handed people, that is opposite
      of the way the World works and thinks. At least the way that all the saw manufacturers think.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
      "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Yes, that's the way I understand it. Depending on which hand you use, the normal design is to keep the body of the saw between you and the blade. So, if you are holding the saw with your right hand, the motor is nearest you and the blade is on the right side of the motor. Likewise, if your holding the saw in your left hand, the blade is on the left, with the motor nearest you.

Not too long after I bought my cordless saw, I was up in the attic of this 1887-built house cutting through the floor, to run some new wiring. It was a plunge cut and with the plank subfloor as ancient as it was I didn't didn't see a nail. I'm down on my knee's cutting, with a "left-handed' saw in my right hand, and when I hit the nail, the saw kicked back within just a few inches of my knee. Scared me, into remembering that I need to pay closer attention to the tool I'm using!

CWS

Comment

As an old framer, all I ever used were saws with the blade on the right side. I always had to lean over the saw to see where the blade was actually cutting. I have always thought it to be a backwards way of looking at it. I never liked the saw dust in my face, either.

To show you how odd things are, when I was surfing, the person who put their right foot forward is considered a goofy-foot. That's bizarre.

The world rarely has it correct. Imagine having to lean over a table saw to see where it is cutting. That is not safe nor is it convenient.

My safe saw handling has to do with knowing what I am cutting and being prepared. All the blades I've had in saws will cut right thru a nail or screw with no kickback. It may not be good for the blade, but it is for the body. So always use the proper saw, blade and sufficient power so the saw does not kick back. I also hang on to the saw no matter what; especially in remodeling.

Finally, there are other well-known brands who have the blade on the left side in current models.

So, Ridgid, let's get with it.

Comment

RIDGID has recently introduced a cordless 6.5 " blade on the left saw R8655

Click image for larger version

Name:	ridgid saw.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	749567
            I'm also a lefty and last year purchased a 36v Makita rear handle saw ( blade on left ) what a difference in smoothness and power compared to my brushless Gen 5 7 1/4 " RIDGID.

Comment

Yes, Drainman, that is a decent one. Sadly it is a little small. I cannot fathom why they didn't make it full size. The other brand is a nice one, that's for sure. I've used it and think it is pretty good. But no lifetime guarantee and batteries can get expensive. I also do not like to worry about different charger and battery types.

Why not use the regular type where you are then situated to see the blade while it is cutting? I like to use a full face shield and watch the blade going thru the wood for more precise cutting. I would think a lefty would appreciate the current models.
              Last edited by ToolReviewer; 06-20-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Can convert rigdig circular saw to table-saw? May be its mounting option good for left-handy people.

Comment

Working...
                X