Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to register for a warrenty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting this to help with the Lifetime Service Agreement registration process for RIDGID Power Tools. Please see attached for screenshots. Getting to registration is a simple 2-step process. From www.RIDGID.com, hover over "Support" and then click "Product Registration". Select the product you're registering - in this case, "Power Tools". Enter your login credentials or create a new account to begin the registration process. Then, you'll be able to input information from your Home Depot receipt and you'll be good to go. Please note that registration is only required (and available) on this site for those products that come with a Lifetime Service Agreement. Products that come with the RIDGID Full Lifetime Warranty (i.e., Wet/Dry Vacs, tool storage boxes) do not require registration.

Comment

I registered the table saw, 6 1/8 joiner/planer, air compressor, 13" surface planer, miter saw just fine. Then I also tried to register the multi head tool and OMG. They sent me back the UPC code piece(not to be confused with cod piece) haha. Along with the paper work that I actually went to Home Depot and had a very sweet lady help me with. They include their form letter and the box was checked no serial number. Well to my ignorance or theirs, I'm not sure which? I looked and on the paper you have to send in with everything, is the serial number. Now sometimes I can be a little slow, but how can the serial number not be found when it is clearly in their paper work. Oh well, I've gotten 5 out of the 7 or 8 Ridgid tools I own registered. Albeit with a lot of help from the sweet patient lady at my local HomeDepot. Regardless, I love all of my Ridgid tools and will never use anything else.

Comment

While I like Rigid tools, the warranty process sucks. I bought a 12 volt drill kit in December 2013 (actually a Xmas gift from my wife). I sent in the paperwork in early January 2014. They sent all my paperwork back in lateMarch saying I had sent the wrong UPC label. Within a few days I corrected the error and resent the paperwork. Nor more communication from Rigid. Looking at "My Tools" account on the Rigid site shows I am not eligible for the LSA on my tools but have a 3 year guarantee because I registered after the 90 day limit. Seems if they informed me a little sooner than 2-1/2 months after I sent in the paperwork, I could have got in under their 90 day window,

Comment

Well, you're looking at it all wrong. You're looking at it from the perspective of the consumer. Look at it from the sellers point of view, or should I saw from the view of the group that will have to honor that warranty. If you want to sell tools, you need to have something the competition doesn't. And one thing no one else offers is the LSA. They all have a warranty of some duration yes and so does RIDGID, but the LSA is on top of that and to get it you have to jump through a couple extra hoops to qualify, that is by design. It's more difficult because it offers you more, and it has the potential to cost the company more. So to keep claims down AND to be able to claim that LSA as a selling feature you need to make it so that not everyone registers all their tools. Do Plumber Rick or Alphacowboy have all their hundred or more tools registered, I don't know but I would hazard a guess that no they don't. Me, I don't have all my RIDGID Tools registered.

What would be nice is if you could go online and create a account in your name and receive a CC style plastic ID card with a barcode of your account on it. Then when you buy a RIDGID tool you get prompted to swipe or have your RIDGID card scanned and that action takes care of registering your tool. DONE! Over, you're covered!
          How hard is that to implement in todays world? Easy as pie, supermarkets and other stores do it every day with loyalty cards. It would be very easy to implement and be a great selling feature. But it will never happen for the reasons stated above.

The other piece that is missing is an app that you could use to register your tool. Use the phone camera to scan the serial number off the tool, scan the register tape, and you're done! As easy as the loyalty card and maybe even better.

They guys writing that RIDGID Sketch app should be re-tasked with creating the tool registration app. A better use of their talents and has greater potential to bring in some profits through increased sales, that Sketch app does none of that.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 08-30-2015, 12:05 PM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
          "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Thanks Bob, but no, I don't have my bandsaw or drill press registered. Nor did I register my table saw, but I sold it unopened anyways.none of my cordless tools are registered either.

Fortunatly my real ridgid tools are covered by the real Ridge Tool Company. Plus my backups have backups, so I'm never empty handed.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

• Bob D.
              Bob D. commented
              Editing a comment
              OK on the REAL RIDGID tool line.

I wonder if I could get away without honoring a warranty on a plumbing job if the owner failed to register it on my website?

Comment

• Bob D.
              Bob D. commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably if you paid a lawyer to write up some fine print to put on your invoice and contracts, and you explained it when they sign authorizing the work. But their might be some law(s) in your state that would prevent that elsewise it would be widespread.

No one explained to me and it's not on my Home Drpot receipt that I have to register the warranty. Anyone see my point yet?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbnasty View Post
              No one explained to me and it's not on my Home Drpot receipt that I have to register the warranty. Anyone see my point yet?
              I don't see your point at all as you don't have to register anything at all to receive the warranty coverage. Here we go again...........the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement IS NOT the warranty on the tool. Read the Owners Manual, it explains how both the Warranty and the LLSA plans work.
              The Leading Cause Of Injury In Older Men Is Them Thinking They Are Still Young Men.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post

I don't see your point at all as you don't have to register anything at all to receive the warranty coverage. Here we go again...........the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement IS NOT the warranty on the tool. Read the Owners Manual, it explains how both the Warranty and the LLSA plans work.
                Now I understand. The cordless tools do not have a lifetime warranty.

Comment

I've learned a bit more about the LSA since I spoke with a friend who works at HD. The "Lifetime Service Agreement" is simply a selling point. According to the RIDGID rep that services the reatail store I patronize, only about 4% of the LSA eligible tools sold are ever registered. Of those, only a tiny fraction are likely to ever be serviced past the standard 3 year warranty, either because most tools which fail do so early in the service life due to a genuine defect, or the purchaser just buys a new tool. The word "LIFETIME" is prominently printed on the box to help sell tools, with "Registration required" below in smaller print. The cost to RIDGID is essentially nothing, and they probably do sell more tools as a result of LIFETIME being printed prominently on the outside of the box. It's disingenuous at best. Now I know corporations are disingenuous and the single reason they exist is to maximize shareholder profit. None of this would bother me except (as I posted elsewhere) I can't even register my tool because I received it as a gift and do not have access to the receipt. The purchaser selected a RIDGID because she's seen many orange tools in my garage, and for the most part I've been pleased with their performance. Now I find the idea of RIDGID tools pretty damn distasteful and will probably never buy another one if I have a choice. I'd have been fine with the standard 3 year warranty. But I feel tricked. If a company can offer a real lifetime warranty, or service plan or whatever, they'll have me hooked. Instead, RIDGID has really made me angry. I had the box with everything in the bag and unused, and I returned the item for store credit to a retail outlet that I knew would either resell the item or send it back to RIDGID for their own credit.

And my new favorite colors are red, or maybe gray and black. Even (shudder) yellow. Anything but orange.
                  Last edited by Uglyhat; 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Gary 1
                    Gary 1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I learned my ridgid lesson as well. You have summed it up well. If ridgid spent as much time honoring their warranties as they did finding ways to NOT honor them I would still buy them.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Thanks Bob, but no, I don't have my bandsaw or drill press registered. Nor did I register my table saw, but I sold it unopened anyways.none of my cordless tools are registered either.

Fortunatly my real ridgid tools are covered by the real Ridge Tool Company. Plus my backups have backups, so I'm never empty handed.

Rick.
                  Yeah, I thought that too at one time until I needed service and they claimed that I needed a receipt, needed to register for the warranty etc. Eventually I was able to find my owners manual that showed the warranty was lifetime without need for a receipt or LSA registration. That hassle was 10 years back. I'm sure I've since lost the original warranty book /instruction manuals.

As to the warranty on anything new, well that is on the person for not looking at the package or instructions provided with the tool and or batteries. They very clearly have the warrant and LSA explained on the packaging these days. If you can't be bothered to read what you have bought, and even save the receipt then why should you expect a warranty. Can you name any other product one can purchase besides Craftsman hand tools that are no questions asked?

Comment

Can you name any other product one can purchase besides Craftsman hand tools that are no questions asked?
                    Sure, Snap-On, MAC, Proto, Black Hawk all have programs similar to Craftsmans' replacement policy.

I recently took some Snap-On screwdrivers, a couple brake tools, and a fan wrench to a local dealer that I bought in the mid 70s and they replaced them no questions asked. The handles had cracked and on one had broken completely in half. All told those tools cost me over $150 back then, didn't ask what the value of todays equivalent tools was.

----

Comment

As a purchaser of Ridgid tools, my expectation is that issues listed in their "covered" section should be taken care of. My first purchase was an 18v drill/impact driver kit with 2 batteries, charger, and radio. i completed the LSA registration, received confirmation, and the tools section shows what I purchased, and shows the LSA is active. After buying several cordless tool sets in the past and experiencing early battery and charger failures, I had a good feeling knowing I was covered if that happened.

So, my next step was to add a cordless circular saw to my tool collection. It was my understanding that "tool only" products would be covered by LSA, but upon registration, it only came through as 3 year warranty. I emailed, and was given vague answers about why I didn't get the LSA. As I read all the disclaimers and other information in manuals and on the website, I keep seeing "on eligible tools", but I can't seem to find a list of which tools are eligible. Is there anyone who can shed some light on this?

What I need to know is if a "tool only" is eligible for the LSA.

Comment

• Gary 1
                        Gary 1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ridgid can come up with a million reasons why your warranty or LSA is not valid. There are whole strings on the topic. Ridgid is very good at ducking out of claims.....both lsa and warranty. Some will defend them to the end. It's possible and not highly unlikely that they are ridgid or their distributor plants. Next your registration will mysteriously disappear. This is what I and many others expect from ridgid. This is based on first hand knowledge and experience

Do you still have the packaging and/or paperwork that came with the tool?
                      It should tell you if the LSA applies to the tool.

It should also be right on the outside of the box. If the package does imply
                      that the tool is eligible for the LSA but it isn't that seems like false advertising
                      to me.

----

Comment

It would appear that the tool only circular saw is covered under the LSA;

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/x3-circular-saw-tool-only
                        The Leading Cause Of Injury In Older Men Is Them Thinking They Are Still Young Men.

Comment

Working...
                        X