Last year at this time I did work for a trombone player for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. He and his wife are from Romania and he wanted an elaborate whole house filter system installed to reduce the chlorine levels in the water.
The subject changed into what I thought was scary; told me that indeed the skin of our bodies is the #1 organ of our body, it absorbs everything and anything it comes in contact with. He stated that in his country that chlorine is not widely used as a disinfectant in water treatment systems.
Of course when he came to my area, the states...the chlorine really caused problems for him and his wife not being used to it. So, I put in this large whole house filter and he told me that it solved the problem instantly.
I just took a shower and my skin is so dried out, I smell of chlorine badly because the water district absolutely has to chemically treat the water out of the Ohio River. I don't think no matter how many times they raw process that water, there's a reason why they have to keep these chlorine levels so high; it's just bad water.
I'm in an area notorious for being called the cancer belt. This area is known for brain tumors and kidney stones....the stones mainly because of the rock quarries emitting limestone dust into the air along with a gypsum plant. That constant breathing of that mineral will relate to this.
The water in this area is regularly contaminated from sewage contamination from mixed storm/sanitary systems along with chemicals introduced at some point from industry. Add a few dead bodies constantly thrown into the river and it makes for some odd flavor. ???
Back in my apprenticeship they showed us the design of how water is treated, basically one huge RO system with settling tanks, gravel/carbon/sand filtration and then close monitoring of the raw water process and what to juice it up with before it leaves the station. Very involved and very simplistic in a sort of way when you see the reversal process take place.
The chlorine levels at the plant though are almost dangerous to those who are sensitive to the odor created by the use.
3-100 yard trailers of what I'd call raw sewage is hauled out of that plant and sent to landfills comprising of black muck, tree limbs, rough waste that the turbine pumps sent up to the holding tanks.
Since that tour, I haven't consumed city water since 1992, vow to never ever drink the water here again. The chlorine is so strong that it will give you heartburn, it has a hard metallic taste like you're chewing on aluminum foil.
That can't be good at all. I've been drinking polar water, can't say it's any better but in all the years I've been drinking their water, never once have I had taste or odor issue, nor have I been sick from its consumption.
I truly, truly believe that if the viewing public watched, witnessed the process of how the water in my area is converted from river water to potable, I don't think they'd be so sure of its water quality, even though the tests are done stating it's safe.
I can't even be in the room when my jacuzzi is running; the chlorine with the jets going is just too much and the smell is just bad.
Does anyone have statistical data showing the harmful affects of constant chlorine exposure? I understand fully that swimming pools are really cranked up with chlorine to make it safe, that's a given. But we're talking limited exposures as opposed to repeated exposures, daily. <<< That's the concern I have and the reason for starting this thread.
I'm not a hypochondriac sp? and I've certainly don't think it's a slow death but I feel what the customer of mine from Romania had some credible reasoning involving the exposure to chlorine.
Poll soon to follow.....